Dry Not Damaged…At Restorative Injectables, we live in a dry climate where it is very easy to mistake dry skin for damaged skin. Here are a few things that you can do to bring your skin back to life and not feel defeated by dryness.
1. Have you ever heard of Trans-epidermal water loss, or TEWL? TEWL occurs when the skin’s protective barrier is damaged or impaired, allowing excess moisture content to evaporate from the skin into the atmosphere. The result is dry, dehydrated, and/or irritated skin. If you can think back to the last time you got out of the shower and started to dry off, can you remember if you started to feel the skin on your face and body get tight and dry? That is Trans-epidermal water loss. An easy way to fight TEWL, and to keep your skin balanced and nourished is to try and avoid the “dry” stage all together. Avéne Hydrance Aqua-gel $38 is a great product to help with this. You should make sure to have it ready on the counter before getting into the shower, so that when you step out, you can dry the excess water from your face and immediately rub a conservative scoop (dime size) of the gel gently into your skin, as you let it dry, you will notice it absorbs right in and starts to moisturize right away. Doing this at least once a week can really make a difference and will help to seal in moisture to create a great primer for the rest of your products.
2. Use products that your skin is familiar with! We’re talking about products with ingredients that already naturally occur in the skin- like peptides, fatty acids, ceramides, and more help to moisturize your skin without confusing it. Skinceuticals Triple Lipid Restore 2:4:2 $133 contains a patented lipid ratio of pure ceramides, natural cholesterol, and fatty acids, which is proven to nourish skin and correct signs of aging. Triple Lipid Restore 2:4:2 contains the first cholesterol-dominant ratio to help restore skin’s external barrier and support natural self-repair. Once or twice daily, apply a small amount between fingers to warm up and rub in circular motions to the face, neck, and chest. If you’re using this in the morning, apply it before your SPF, and if you’re using it in the evening apply it after your retinol, or last.
3. Find an SPF that also moisturizes! Alastin Hydratint SPF 36 $57 is a lightweight, ALL physical, broad-spectrum sunscreen that is rich in antioxidants to shield against pollution induced damage, ingredients that improve skin hydration like squalene, and has a natural tint compatible with most skin types. Many oily patients find this to be a miracle product because it combines three steps (moisturizing, foundation, and SPF) but those who are dry should most definitely apply this as the last step in a morning routine to seal in that extra moisture and keep skin looking radiant.
4. Facial Oils! We love ISDIN Melatonik $160 which is a restorative nighttime serum-in-oil which works while you sleep to help your skin recover from daily stresses. The 3-in-1 formula containing melatonin, bakuchiol, and vitamin C stimulates natural antioxidant defenses and helps to restore vitality and elasticity, for healthy skin. Melatonik provides effective overnight hydration and reinforces the skin’s moisture barrier for up to 8 hours after application. Each night, apply 4-6 drops onto the palm of your hand to warm the product, and gently massage over the face and neck area avoiding the eyes. Apply Melatonik before your moisturizer.
5. Drink water and avoid excess caffeine! Caffeine can dry your skin from the inside, pairing that with not drinking enough water will leave your skin feeling (and looking) like a dry sponge! Still feel that your skin is damaged and not just dry?
Call us to make an appointment for a complimentary skin consultation and let us help you reach your skincare goals!
BY RICO ALVARADO, MEDICAL AESTHETICIAN AT RESTORATIVE INJECTABLES
Jawline Botox and Jawline Fillers Restore Your Confidence in the Mirror, But Which is Right for You?
As time passes, the jawline can begin to lose its definition and sag. In some cases, it can also be accompanied by a droopy neck, which can caus...Read more